Entry requirements

Every city in the Netherlands has different rules about who is allowed to visit coffee shops and who is not
Can I enter a coffee shop of The Grass Company?

Every Dutch city  has different rules regarding who’s allowed to enter a coffee shops and who’s not. In general everyone who wants to enter a coffee shop  must be at least 18 years old and live in the Netherlands. In addition, you can only enter with a valid ID. However, the last part can vary per city. That’s why our shops in Tilburg and ‘s-Hertogenbosch have different rules, despite the fact that they’re from the same company. This might be confusing. So, here’s an explanation of the different rules for both cities. Be aware of the fact that we need to follow the Dutch rules and law. So, in case your home country has different rules regarding expiry dates and validity, we can’t follow them.

Once you’ve entered you’ll obviously have to abide by our house rules.


In Tilburg, the rules for visitors of the shops in Tilburg are open. This means everyone who is eighteen years of age or older can enter the coffeeshop by showing his/her valid identity document (passport or ID). The Dutch identity document is valid for entrance until one year after the expiry date. A drivers license also counts as a valid ID. For foreign visitors, the ID must be valid.

Access to coffee shops in Tilburg:
  • 18+ & Valid  ID  (passport or ID, not older than one year)
  • 18+ & Valid drivers licence

Unfortunately, ‘s-Hertogenbosch has stricter rules. You have to be 18 years of age or older and you have to show you’re a resident of the Netherlands.  If you have a valid Dutch identity card (ID), like a Dutch driver’s licence, you can enter our shops by showing this to our staff. If you don’t have a Dutch ID but you are living in the Netherlands, for example as an expat or exchange student, you’ll have to be able to prove this.

You can do this by showing, next to your valid ID, one of the following documents:

  1. A valid Dutch health insurance card (‘zorgpas’) which is handed out by your Dutch health insurance company.
  2. An extract from the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP or GBA) of the municipality you’re living in. This BRP/GBA cannot be older than one year after being issued. You can request a BRP/GBA at the town hall of your local municipality or order it online. If you’re living in ‘s-Hertogenbosch, you can order the BRP online.
  3. A recent payslip from your Dutch employer (maximum three months old).

Acces to coffee shops in ‘s-Hertogenbosch

  • 18+ & Valid Dutch ID 
  • 18+ & Valid ID & Valid Dutch Health Insurance card 
  • 18+ & Valid ID & Extract BRP (not older than one year)
  • 18+ & Valid ID & Recent Payslip of Dutch Employer (not older than three months)

Deze website gebruikt cookies

We gebruiken cookies om de inhoud van onze website te personaliseren en het verkeer te analyseren. Hieronder kan je aangeven wat je voorkeuren zijn.

Privacy policy | Sluiten